MDH is working to update our guidance and recommendation documents as CDC and CMS make changes. Please check back often.
Long-term Care: COVID-19
Guidance and resources for long-term care (LTC) facilities.
- Template COVID-19 Response Summary for Long-term Care Facilities (Word)
Use this template document to communicate with resident families about COVID-19 cases that have impacted residents and staff in your facility and the actions that your team has taken to prepare for and respond to COVID-19.
- Long-term Care Testing: COVID-19
All guidance and materials related to LTC testing activities.
- Employee Illness Tracking Tool (Excel) | Instructions (PDF)
- Principles for COVID-19 Cohorting in Long-term Care (PDF)
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and Fan Considerations for Long-term Care during COVID-19 (PDF)
- COVID-19 Surge Planning Checklist for Long-term Care Facilities (Word)
Template for skilled nursing and assisted living facilities.
Visit Infection Prevention and Control: COVID-19 for guidance on responding to and monitoring exposures, PPE, and more.
If a resident passes away in your facility, MDH recommends testing for COVID-19 if there are any confirmed cases in your facility or if the cause of death is not clearly due to causes besides COVID-19. A nasal pharyngeal swab needs to be collected from the deceased individual for testing prior to sending the body to the funeral home or medical examiner's office. The specimen can be sent to MDH for COVID-19 testing free of charge. Please see Evaluating and Testing for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for appropriate forms and submission guidance and call MDH (1-877-676-5414) to report the death and suspicion of COVID-19.
- Vaccine Provider Models for COVID-19 Vaccination Efforts in Minnesota Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Long-term Care COVID-19 Booster Vaccination Plan (PDF)
Proposed COVID-19 booster distribution and administration plan for LTC facilities. Includes COVID-19 Vaccine Dose Tracker template.
- Long-term Care Using MIIC to Query COVID-19 Vaccination Status (PDF)
Webinar: MIIC Booster Dose Information for Long-term Care
MIIC Booster Dose Information for Long-term Care Webinar Transcript (PDF)
- Long-term Care COVID-19 Vaccine Resources (PDF)
- How to Complete the Long-term Care COVID-19 Vaccination Reporting Form (PDF)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Tracking Tool for Long-term Care (Excel) | Instructions (PDF)
Visitors and outside services
CMS has updated nursing home visitation guidance. MDH is working to update our long-term care (nursing home and assisted living) guidance and recommendation documents.
- Long-term Care Guidance for Outings
- COVID-19 Guidance: Long-term Care Indoor Visitation for Nursing Facilities and Assisted Living Settings (PDF)
- Long-term Care Visitation Guidance Flowchart for Outbreak Status (PDF)
- Long-term Care Visitation Guidance Flowchart for Exceptions (PDF)
- Essential Caregiver Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities
- Outdoor Visitation Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Beauty Shop Guidance for Long-term Care Facilities (PDF)
- Guidance for Congregate Living Settings: Placing Resident-requested Electronic Monitoring Devices (PDF)
Previously called Guidance for Congregate Living Settings to Assist Residents Requesting Camera Placement.
- Helping Long-Term Care Facilities Prevent and Address COVID-19 (PDF)
Actions by MDH and the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) to address emergent issues with LTC facilities.
- Interim Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations to Prevent SARS-CoV-2 Spread in Nursing Homes
CDC guidance that summarizes the core infection prevention and control practices for nursing homes.
- Long-Term Care Facility Toolkit: Preparing for COVID-19 Vaccination at Your Facility
CDC toolkit that provides long-term care facility (LTCF) administrators and clinical leadership with information and resources to help build vaccine confidence among health care personnel and residents.