Limited Scope X-ray Operator and
Bone Densitometry Equipment Operator Exams
- Limited Scope X-ray Operator Registration Application (PDF)
- Bone Densitometry Equipment Operator Registration Application (PDF)
- Bone Densitometry Handbook (PDF)
- Limited Scope Handbook (PDF)
- Testing Accommodations guidelines and form (PDF)
- Limited Scope X-ray Operator Courses (PDF)
- Minnesota Radiology Schools (PDF)
- X-ray Operator Educational Books (PDF)
- Complete the registration application above.
- Include a $25.00 money order or cashier’s check payable to Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and mail with the registration application. Fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable.
- MDH recommends typing or writing legibly on the registration application and sending it Certified Mail.
- MDH will review the application and send a letter by mail or email to the applicant regarding next steps and payment to ARRT.
- After receiving notification from MDH, the applicant will pay the ARRT fee of $140.00 by credit card, debit card, or gift card on their website at https://www.staterhc.org/, or by money order or cashier’s check via mail directly to ARRT.
Effective January 1, 2022, the ARRT fee will increase to $150.00 and only be payable by credit card, debit card, or gift card on ARRT website. ARRT will no longer be accepting money orders or cashier’s checks.
Effective 8/1/20, MDH will no longer accept the ARRT fee. For questions, please read our Information Notice.
- ARRT will send applicants the exam handbook that explains the exam process. Applicants will have 90 days in which to take the exam. MDH strongly recommends scheduling an exam right away, as exam sites fill up quickly.
- MDH will notify approved applicants of their exam scores and passing exams. Applicants will receive a registration certificate for passing exams. Passing rate is 70% for the core AND each module.
- Limited Scope X-ray Operators must not operate fluoroscopy, computed tomography (CT), cone beam computed tomography (CBCT), mammography or perform x-ray procedures where contrast media is used.
- Individuals not Licensed Practitioners of the Healing Arts who want to take x-rays on humans in Minnesota and are not already certified to do so, must pass the American Registry of Radiological Technologists (ARRT) Limited Scope X-ray Operator Exam, as specified in Minnesota Rules, Chapters 4732.0570 to 4732.0585.
- Those who passed the Minnesota X-ray Operator Exam on or prior to Jan. 1, 2008 are grandfathered in and do not have to take this exam. If you need proof of certification, MDH does not have a copy. Please contact your school, previous employer, or the appropriate test provider.
- Limited Scope X-ray Operator applicants must pass the Core Exam and the respective region of anatomy module exam(s) before performing x-rays. You must pass the Core Exam before taking x-rays on any passed modules.
- If an applicant fails a module, they will need to retake and pass in order to take x-rays of that anatomical region.
- The fees and registration application process is the same for the initial registration application and the retake registration application. Once a module or exam is passed, it does not have to be retaken.
- If an extension to the 90-day test window is needed, requests should be received one week prior to the window expiration date.
- Only 10 application payments can be made per cashier check or money order.
- For online payments, a separate username and password needs to be created for each applicant. A business or school making an online payment for multiple applicants cannot use the same username and password for all their applicants.
- If a current application for the Radiologic Technologist (RT) Exam, Limited Scope, or Bone Density Exams is pending, applicants cannot apply for another exam until the pending exam is passed and/orapplication is closed.
- To close an application, the applicant needs to send a written request to ARRT. At that time, the applicant agrees to forfeit their fees. When approved by ARRT, the applicant can resubmit a new application and the old application is closed.
ARRT - American Registry of Radiological Technologists
1255 Northland Drive
St. Paul, Minnesota 55120-1155
Go to > top