Registered Environmental Health Specialists/Registered Sanitarians
Exam Study Sessions and Reference Material
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) provides assistance for those interested in taking the examination to become a Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Registered Sanitarian.
Exam study sessions are held on a date, time, and location agreed upon by the study group. The study sessions are opportunities for individuals with different employment backgrounds to study for the exam together and discuss environmental health topics, which include water, wastewater, food protection, radiation, general environmental health, swimming pools, institutional environmental health, solid waste, statutes and regulations, and administration of an environmental health program.
Below is a list of study references that are recommended to assist the candidate in preparing for the examination.
Minnesota Environmental Health Association (MEHA) REHS/RS Study Materials Library Scroll to the lower portion of the library web page to view 23 environmental health categories.
- Environmental Public Health Online Courses (EPHOC) South Central Partnership Web site
- REHS/RS Study Guide (Fourth Edition), 2014, NEHA
- Handbook of Environmental Health, Volumes 1 and 2 (Fourth Edition), 2003, H. Koren and M. Bisesi
- Environmental Engineering, 3-Volume Set (Sixth Edition), 2009, N.L. Nemerow, F.J. Agardy, P. Sullivan, and J.A. Salvato (editors)
- Control of Communicable Diseases Manual (20th Edition), 2015, D.L. Heymann (Editor), American Public Health Association
- Basic Environmental Health, 2001, A. Yassi, T. Kjellstrom, T. de Kok, and T.L. Guidotti
- Essential Epidemiology: Principles and Applications, 2002, W. Oleckno
- Pool & Spa Operator™ Handbook, 2017, National Swimming Pool Foundation
- Principles of Food Sanitation (Fifth Edition), 2006, N.G. Marriott and R.B. Gravani]
- Food Code, Food and Drug Administration
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – National Environmental Public Health Tracking
- FEMA National Incident Management System (NIMS) Course
- CDC's Environmental Health Emergency Response Guide
- HUD's Healthy Homes Program
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Community Assessment for Public Health Emergency Response (CASPER) Toolkit: Second edition. Atlanta (GA): CDC; 2012.
- CDC’s Healthy Homes Program
For more information about the study sessions, contact email@example.com.